CIA 'says Saudi prince ordered Khashoggi killing'

By | November 17, 2018

The CIA has concluded Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi, according to a US official.

Officials had high confidence in the CIA’s findings, which link the prince to the killing of the journalist and prominent critic of the Saudi regime, according to the Washington Post.

The CIA reportedly found that 15 Saudi agents flew on government planes to Istanbul and carried out the killing at the Saudi consulate.

Mr Khashoggi had been at the consulate to obtain documents so he could marry his Turkish fiancee.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman talks to Jordan's King Abdullah II (L) during the Future Investment Initiative FII conference in the Saudi capital Riyadh on October 23, 2018. - Saudi Arabia is hosting the key investment summit overshadowed by the killing of critic Jamal Khashoggi that has prompted a wave of policymakers and corporate giants to withdraw
Image: The CIA reportedly concluded the Saudi crown prince ordered the killing

Riyadh’s ambassador to US – and brother of the kingdom’s de facto leader – Prince Khalid bin Salman swiftly denied claims in the newspaper that he had spoken with Mr Khashoggi on the phone or that he suggested he go to Turkey “for any reason”.

He reportedly told the journalist he would be safe to visit the consulate for his papers.

“The last contact I had with Mr. Khashoggi was via text on Oct 26 2017. I never talked to him by phone and certainly never suggested he go to Turkey for any reason,” the prince wrote on Twitter. “I ask the US government to release any information regarding this claim.”

He went on to post a full response to the Washington Post story, which said the claims in the CIA’s “purported assessment are false. We have and continue to hear various theories without seeing the primary basis for these speculations”.

It comes as Saudi prosecutors sought the death penalty for five suspects charged with the murder of Mr Khashoggi.

The kingdom’s public prosecutor Saud al Mojeb said in a statement that 21 people were now in custody over the killing, with 11 people indicted and facing trial.

The highest-level official accused of being behind the murder is former deputy intelligence chief Ahmad al Assiri, according to the prosecutor’s spokesman Shaalan al Shaalan.

He said the Washington Post columnist’s alleged killers had set in motion plans for the murder on 29 September, three days before he died inside the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.

1:56
Video: Khashoggi murder suspects may face death penalty

The public prosecutor’s office appeared to distance the alleged killers and their operation from the Saudi crown prince and accused two senior officials of giving the orders.

Mr al Shaalan denied Prince Mohammed had any knowledge of the killing.

Earlier on Friday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Donald Trump spoke on the phone and agreed on the need to prevent any cover-up of the killing, according to a source close to the Turkish leader.

Turkish media also claimed authorities had further evidence to discredit Riyadh’s version of events, including a second audio tape.

Hundreds of people turned out to say prayers to the slain journalist
Image: Hundreds of people turned out to say prayers to the slain journalist

Mr al Shaalan told reporters Mr Khashoggi was killed on 2 October after he was given a lethal injection, before his body was dismembered and taken out of the building.

He said the writer was murdered after “negotiations” for his return to the kingdom failed and that the person who ordered the killing was in fact the head of the negotiating team.

More from Jamal Khashoggi

He said the whereabouts of Mr Khashoggi’s body remained unknown.

On Friday, hundreds of people attended a symbolic funeral in Istanbul for the columnist as his loved ones came to terms with the prospect of never finding his body.

US News – The latest headlines from the US | Sky News